Is News Bad For You?

I was a television news reporter with the BBC from June 1983 to December 2008.  Twenty five years.

Now I'm a consumer not a producer.  Guess what?  I struggle to watch an entire TV news bulletin.  I find it trite, irrelevant and, as my old Mum would have said, "a lot about nowt".

There's a good comment piece in the Guardian online, making the point that news is bad for you.  OK it's exaggerated to make a point.  But I find myself nodding in agreement more than shaking my head.  It's worth a read.

I still want to know what's going on in the world.  But news online is faster and I can select stories relevant to me and the country in which I live.  The notion of a 'Scottish Six', a six o'clock news bringing the world's news to Scotland, seems almost quaint, it's that out dated.

I still make television programmes but I concentrate on factual documentary and adventure travel, avoiding news or current affairs.  You know what?  I don't miss news at all.